Feeling safe within your own home and protecting your family and possessions is a top priority for all of us, which is why you’ll want to consider the best security options. Changing your locks is a security measure you will need to use more often than others to protect your home against intruders. Read on to find out everything you need to know about changing your locks.
Why should you change your locks?
There are lots of reasons to change your locks, all of which centre around increasing your security. Since burglars often enter homes through the front door, your locks must be up to date to keep your property, possessions, and loved ones safe. The main reasons for changing your locks are:
- If you move into a new home/ premises
- If someone moves out of your home/ leaves your business
- If you have had the same lock for seven years or more
- If you have had a break-in
- If you lose a key
- If your lock is faulty or damaged
How often should you change your locks?
Over time, your locks will need replacing so that they can function correctly and meet the latest home security standards. It is recommended that you change your locks at least every 7 years, however, you can change them more frequently for your peace of mind or due to any of the above reasons.
What are the best locks for your home?
Do you know what locks your property has? The most common door lock is the euro cylinder. However, just because it is the most popular doesn’t mean it is the best. Many types of euro cylinder locks are prone to cylinder snapping, yet they can still be found on most domestic doors.
To prevent intruders from breaking into your home through cylinder snapping we recommend investing in anti-snap or snap-safe cylinder locks as they offer cutting-edge features provide your home with a higher level of security.
Anti-snap locks are made of high-security euro lock cylinders. They are designed and tested to protect against lock snapping.
To ensure the best level of safety for your property your locks should be tested against certain standards.
How long does it take to change your locks?
For a professional Locksmith, changing your locks can be done in under an hour. The time required to secure your home with new locks varies depending on the door type and degree of the change.
- Cylinder changes- 10-20 minutes
- UPVC door locks- 20-40 minutes
- Timber door- 30-45 minutes
At Halls Locksmiths we offer a 24-hour service, meaning our locksmiths are there for you in an emergency and around the clock to resolve all of your security issues quickly.
How much does it cost to change your locks?
The cost of changing locks can vary depending on the type of lock and the complexity of the job. Below we’ve listed the minimum price it costs our customers for some of the most common lock replacements (prices may vary depending on the circumstances).
- Changing a Yale lock- from £70 (cylinder only)
- Changing a Euro Cylinder lock on a uPVC door- £90 or upgrade to 3 star- £120
- Changing a Mortice lock on wooden door- from £80
- Changing a Mortice lock on a wooden door upgrade to BS3621- £120
- Lockout 8.30-5.00 Monday to Friday from £60 plus replacement parts
- Lockout 5.00-12.00 after 5.00 and all weekend before 12.00pm- £90 plus parts
- Lockout 12.00-8.00am- £120.00 plus replacement parts if necessary
- Prices may be different depending on location
Our friendly team are always available to offer you advice on ensuring your house or office is safe. We are happy to help with anything you need to provide you with the peace of mind you deserve. Pop into our store or give us a call on 0115 9780141.